Amazon Link

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Day Everything Changed

Sorry to take a break from the Top 3 Best Bad Movies of all time list that I'm sure you are all waiting for, but it's for a good reason. I've been waiting to talk about this since November 29, 2010, at approximately 8:00 pm. That is the exact time that my life changed forever. I found out that I'm going to be a father. Words cannot describe the emotions I went through at that moment. Things slowed down, I tried to capture what I was feeling and tried to appreciate that my life was never going to be the same. There are not many times in life that you can see/feel/know that what used to be is gone. This is one and I couldn't be happier. Since that day, I've listened to this song every single day because it captures the experience I'm living.

I've heard people say that you cannot understand how much you will love your child until you are a parent. I now believe it. I won't see my baby for 6 months and already there isn't anything I wouldn't do for little baby Bubs (tip of the cap to Sheridan for suggesting the nickname, especially since Bubs is one of my favorite characters from The Wire). I am just so grateful for this experience and for all that is to come. I cannot wait to be a dad. I'm not ashamed to say that just typing that I'm going to be a dad brings tears to my eyes. I've always known that I wanted to be a father and I know that I am going to be better at being a father than I have ever been at anything else.

I was going to detail my plan for making little Bubs obsessed with Pat Swayze, Nic Cage and Stallone pictures, how I'll teach life lessons using The Wire and convince Bubs that Larry Bird was the emperor of the United States from 1980-1993, but there will be time to discuss that later. Today, I just want to enjoy this moment, ponder what is to come and thank God for the wonderful woman I get to share it all with.

We will return to the usual frivolity soon. Mahalo!

7 comments:

  1. What a perfect announcement. Congratulations Daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are SO excited for you both! You are already an amazing father and I can't wait to see your little family grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Gregg (and Jessica)! I heard from Melissa last week which made me very happy. I have to say though, I knew. I just knew. When Jess wasn't feeling great Christmas Day, I knew. I was happy. You are going to love being a parent. It will definitely be your hardest job ever, but so very worth it.

    Love you both! Can't wait for Baby Bubs to join the family. Personally, I am rooting for a girl. Just sayin'. Every Daddy needs a princess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you brought tears to MY eyes letting me read about this. Gregg, YOU will be such an amazing dad. I have always admired your tender, gentle spirit. You are a strong man, yet the sweetest, softest heart. SO MUCH congratulations to you and Jessica. YEAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea what Kimberlie is referring to--of course I didn't spill the beans early ;)

    I am so thrilled for both of you--you will be AMAZING parents. What a lucky baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm surprised you didn't tell more people Melissa.
    The kind words mean a lot to me. Our baby will be blessed to be surrounded by a lot loving, wonderful people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty surprised myself! This Aunt is very excited.

    ReplyDelete