Amazon Link

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Year of Lists

As an homage to Dameshek, I think the blog needs some lists today.

First list: My all time favorite concerts based upon my love of the artist, the company I was with and memorable moments I associate with the show.

5. Dave-Fest with Wala
In 2000, Wala and I traveled to Dallas to see Dave Matthews shows on back to back nights. The shows were fantastic, highlighted by Dave opening with Seek Up on the second night. But the highlight was going to a low rent version of Dave and Busters on the afternoon before the second show. Wala decided to do a free fall that I was positive would kill him. Thankfully it didn't and we got to enjoy the show.

4. Our Lady Peace with Jon
Jon and I went to see Our Lady Peace in a super small theater that couldn't have held more than 70 people. I was a moderate fan of the band, but seeing them in that setting was incredible. It was really just the lead singer on a stool with an acoustic guitar. Being able to hear an artist in that setting is the best way to enjoy a concert. Plus, my brother is awesome and spending any time with him is a good thing.

3. U2 with Jessica, Dusty & Peyton
They make the list based upon the sheer scope of the concert. I've never been a big fan of U2 but it was the most amazing show I've ever been to. The staging and video playback was unlike anything I have ever seen. I could have done without Bono's preaching, but it was expected and didn't last quite as long as I had anticipated.

2. William Fitzsimmons with various guests
Fitzsimmons makes the list because I love every song he has ever made and I got to see him with Jess and my mom on the same night that UNC beat Villanova in the 2009 Final Four. That was a special night. I got to see him again 2 days later with Melissa. Then in 2010, I got to see him with Jess again and due to winning a contest I got a song dedicated to me. I put on an embarrassing performance when I had the song dedicated to me. You would have thought that I was a 13 year old girl being serenaded by Justin Bieber.

1. Brian Vander Ark with various
It is impossible for me to rank the BVA shows I've seen. My 2 favorites were with Sheridan, then Jessica. The Sheridan show was amazing because I got to hang out with him before the show. Again, I acted like a 13 year old. The show with Jess was memorable for being at a really cool venue and having great openers, Chris O'Brien and Chuck E. Costa.

I have gotten asked many times about my love of bad movies and what makes a movie bad. Well, I'm here to tell you.

1. Bad movies need an absurd leading man. Think Swayze, Cage, Diesel, Van Damme, etc.
2. There must be meaningless conflict and absolutely nothing at stake. This disqualifies movies like Rambo and Predator, since those movies feature fights for justice against an evil sheriff and otherworldly beast.
3. There must be a needlessly intense villain. Just imagine any movie where Cage plays a bad guy.
4. It must have been made as a legitimate movie and take itself seriously. B movies are designed to be bad, so they don't qualify. Vin Diesel movies cost 100 million dollars, so they are obviously eligible.

I hope you all are prepared for my next big list which will feature the 5 best bad movies of all time, including a detailed analysis of why the films earned their spot. I hope you are all prepared for a 5,000 word pile of nonsense.

Until next time, Mahalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment