Amazon Link

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Micheal McDonald? Really? The one with the beard?

I know, it's been to long since we have had an update. Well, Bill Simmons is the guest today and as soon as I listen to it, there will be a lengthy recap.

In the meantime, I have to discuss a personal issue that has really bothered me over the past few days. We have some new law clerks at the firm. I was enjoying getting to know them over a beer a few days back, when one of them said; "The Michael McDonald concert I went to in December was the best night of my life." Wait, what? He later claimed to be kidding around, but still claimed it was the best concert he has ever been to. As one who is prone to hyperbole I was still shocked by this statement. Worse still, he sent me videos the next day of what he deemed the choicest bits Mike has to offer. These are the actual videos he sent me: 1, 2 and 3. (Advance warning: Please do not click on these. I know many of you don't click the links for fear of another Journey video or Larry Bird tribute but both of those are infinitely better than the preceding links). I'll admit that aside from my love of Journey, I'm a music snob. My response to his statement was an Ace like rant about how Mike is a destructive musical force and seems to actively try to write unlistenable songs. I borrowed Ace's theory about how the Eagles split up just to inflict more damage and applied it to Mike's career, which works quite well. I have been racking my brain for 5 days straight and cannot imagine a life where the best night I'd ever had featured Mike McDonald. I think it's time for the offending clerk to get out in the world and top his evening with McDonald. Off the top of my head, nights that would top a McDonald concert include:
1. Sitting in a dark room alone;
2. a concert by the Starlight Vocal Band;
3. a night of television programmed by Jessica (The Hills, So You Think You Can Dance, 90210, Grey's Anatomy, etc); and
4. seeing a Mike McDonald cover band.

In other news of interest to me alone, Arthur Kade was a guest on Danny Partridge's radio show. For those of you that don't know, Danny Partridge used to be Ace's sidekick on the radio show. Thankfully for me, this was from before I started listening. Whenever he got brought up on the show, Ace would always reference how Danny would take his shirt off for no reason at all and always smelled like nicotine and Axe body spray. For some reason an aging former child star being described as smelling like Axe body spray always delighted me. Anyway, I downloaded the Kade segment and cannot wait to listen to it. I'm sure Bonaduce destroys Kade and calls him out for pretending he's not gay.

Look out for the big Simmons podcast update soon. Until then, Mahalo.

5 comments:

  1. Who is Michael McDonald? I may just have to hit those links to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, a few thoughts:

    first, Emmis should know who michael mcdonald is. an american legend!

    second, you and i both know that when you are alone in a dark room you sing michael mcdonald songs to yourself - especially his classic album "Motown."

    third, his beard is the source of his magical powers.

    - and yea - this is from the law clerk mentioned above. respekt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful referencing SYTYCD or the truth may have to come out. And it's Bonaduce. Not Patridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, he'll always be Danny Partridge to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay so here's the thing, I hit on the links above and I still do not know who Michael McDonald is!! Did he write those songs? I recognized "What a Fool Believes" but how bout "Yah Mo B There", is that an ebonic reference to calling on the name of God and He will be there? I'm confused. I see that he has done PBS specials so that would also explain why I do not recognize him.

    ReplyDelete