Amazon Link

Monday, May 11, 2009

Yet Another Oversight

Dear readers, I have to apologize once more for my sloppy drafting. After posting the great Slater v. Sanders debate I realized I left off a critical factor. I honestly cannot believe it slipped my mind. I am of course referring to "Inappropriate Relationships with Adults." And even though this doesn't change the results, it is important that we explore the topic.

Slater: Slater had a very close, sometimes too close, relationship with Bayside High principal Richard Belding. Who can forget the iconic episode when Mrs. B, tired of Mr. B's antics, kicks him out of the house. Does Mr. B go to a hotel? Friend's house? Of course not. He goes over to Zack's and buys the boys pizza. If I ever have a son and his principal wants to hang out in my son's room and buy him dinner, I'm calling Chris Hansen. Mr. B goes on to solicit dating advice from the boys, which is simply beyond creepy.
Slater had numerous heart to hearts with good old Mr. B, especially in the episode when he was going to have to switch schools. Throughout it all, Mr. B was inappropriate, creepy and constantly touching Slater's enormous shoulders and calling him "Son." That earns Mr. B a A in the creep department. (The crack about the shoulders is a nod to the biggest douche creep in the history of the world, Arthur Kade. He is quite proud of his shoulders).

Sanders: Steve had multiple adults in his life. Some, like Mr. Walsh, were appropriate. Some like Mrs. Teasley, the high school principal, were to push the story along. And then there is one that was just plain creepy, Nat. Nat ran the local diner, which the kids from West Beverly single handedly kept in business. Nat acted as father figure, sounding board and later even as business partner to Sanders. Nat's constant attempts at being friends with 16 year old Steve Sanders (even though Steve was 30 in real life) was just creepy. There is no compelling reason for a 40 year old to be friends with a 16 year old. That is just asking for trouble. It also never seems to bother Steve that he and his friends are Nat's only friends. Again, it's a bad sign that a 40 year old has no friends other than his 16 year old customers.

Decision: Advantage Slater. Nothing can possibly top Mr. B buying the boys pizza after the Mrs. kicked him out.

I also forgot to mention Steve Sander's steroid episode from his time on the track team. Just more evidence that Slater was the superior athlete.

Ace is co-hosting Loveline again this week. I am pumped for some good talk with Dr. Drew and lots of fodder for the blog. Until then, Mahalo.

4 comments:

  1. After all the time you spent thinking about the Slater v. Sanders debate before posting, I am disappointed that you did not get this in the original post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your disappoint Anonymous poster. It was a big mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you share my disappoint or disappointment?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, getting the business from an Anonymous poster. I like it. You clearly have me rattled. I share in your disappointment. I am proving myself over and over to be completely incapable of proper grammar.

    ReplyDelete